Leading my own bands in New York, Europe, and Los Angeles. In New York, I played with “Oregon” oboist and saxophonist, Paul McCandless, bassist Harvie Swartz, Sheila Jordan, Gerry Niewood, Mike Formanek, and many others. The mainstay collaboration in New York had to be with saxophonist Craig Purpura with whom I appeared on “Fifth Floor Walkup”. We recorded 2 of my early works, “Minotaur”, and “Virgin Wood”.
In Europe in the early 80’s I recorded with the Hessicher Rundfunk Jazz Ensemble including Christof Lauer, Gunter Lenz, Ralph Huebner, Emil Manglesdorf, Vienna Art Orchestra Vocalist Lauren Newton, and Wolfgang Reisinger.
In Los Angeles since the early 90’s, I performed with Vinny Golia, Billy Mintz, Kim Richmond, Wadada Leo Smith, and self-produced three cd’s of original works.
It’s impossible to omit saxophonist/composer Gil Mélle without whose inspiration none of this would be possible.
- 1971 – The Kansas City Jazz Festival – with saxophonist Gil Melle
Premieres of Meredith Monk/The House works:
- 1999 – Solo accompanist with Meredith Monk for Sacred Music Festival @ Getty Museum, Los Angeles.
- 1991 – “Atlas: An Opera in Three Acts”. Houston Grand Opera
- 1984- “Travelogue” – (One act plays for proscenium stage)
- 1981- “Turtle Dreams” – City Center, New York
- 1977 – “Quarry” – La Mama Repertory Theatre, New York.
- 2015 – CD Release Concert for “The Chamber Music of Normand Lockwood and Steve Lockwood”. A performance featuring 9 art songs and “Sonata for Flute & Piano in Two Movements and Coda” by Normand Lockwood and previously unreleased electro- acoustic chamber music by Steve Lockwood.
- 2001 – Performed Samuel Barber’s Op.20 “Excursions” with the San Pedro City Ballet at Marsee Auditorium, El Camino College.
- 1999-05 – Performances at L. A. County Museum of Art Friday Night Jazz Series with my own Quartet featuring L.A’s best jazz players.
- 1988 – Performance at Michael’s in New York after my group was picked as Semi-Finalist in Hennessey Cognac Talent Search.
- 1985 – Toured Austria, and Germany playing 10 concerts in 11 days with Vienna Art Orchestra vocalist Lauren Newton and a quintet including Thomas Horstmann. The tour concluded at the Stuttgart Alte Oper with a jazz quintet featuring Trombonist/Composer, George Lewis.
Commissioned to compose an electronic score for a modern dance choreography, “Fallen Angels” for the El Camino College Spring Dance Concert in 1998.
Theatre & Film
Composed sound scores for Off-Broadway productions in New York in the late 1970’s. In 1980, I wrote an all woodwind score for a film, “The Black Cap”, a short story by Katherine Mansfield. The film starred French actress Micheline Presle and was directed by Jean-Louis Hym.
Wrote over 100 pieces for different jazz bands in New York, Europe, and Los Angeles.
- 2014 – “All Roads Lead………” – chamber music for ethnic flutes, and tabla.
- 2012 – “Los Angeles Suite for Flute Octet” – chamber music for 8 flutes.
- 2001 – “Haunted” – music for guitar, flute, and 2 synthesizers.
- 2000 – “What’s in a Name” – music for 3 pianos.
- 2000 – “Requiem” – for piano and tape.
ASCAP Plus awards yearly for original compositions of jazz and chamber music.
“Subito” production grants from the American Composers Forum Los Angeles, for recording projects and chamber music projects.